Worth the Investment?
Why Dental Implants are Worth the Investment
When patients are faced with needing to replace missing or damaged teeth, they are often thinking about “how much will this cost me?” Many patients wonder if getting dental implants is worth the investment and have a tough decision to make. Dental implants have a success rate of 98% and have the potential to last a lifetime with proper care. On average a bridge will last for up to 15 years and then patients will need to pay for a replacement bridge. With a dental implant the up-front cost is greater, but over a 20-30 year period, the cost will become the more financially responsible choice.
Please read below for more information about what exactly dental implants are and their advantages.
What Is a Dental Implant?
An implant is a replacement for your tooth’s root and is typically made of titanium. This “root” is surgically placed into the jaw bone, and will serve as a strong foundation for the replacement tooth that is made to match your real teeth. Getting an implant typically requires about 3.
1. The planning appointment
2. The surgical appointment
3. And the appointment when you come back for your final crown restoration to replace your missing tooth.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Implants will last the longest out of all the options available to replace a tooth because they are made from the strongest material and physically integrate into the jawbone. There are numerous advantages of choosing a dental implant over its alternatives:
1. Improved comfort - By choosing an implant you eliminate the discomfort associated with removable dentures.
2. Sustain jawbone health – Dental implants stimulate the jawbone which keeps it from deteriorating so quickly. Many people with dentures suffer from the loss of jawbone density which in turn, gives their appearance a sunken cheek affect. With dental implants, the jaw is much more likely to remain strong.
3. Improved appearance and self-esteem - Dental implants feel and look like your own teeth. You can be confident in your smile.
4. Improved speech - You will not need to worry about slurring due to ill-fitting dentures slipping in the mouth.
5. Easier to consuming food - The permanent implants function just like real teeth and will allow you to eat your favorite foods without worrying about pain.
6. Improved oral health - Unlike a bridge, a dental implant does not require any neighboring teeth to be ground down. Leaving your natural teeth intact helps your long-term oral health. Implants also allow easier access between the teeth, allowing you to keep flossing without a struggle.
7. Durability - With the proper oral care, implants have the ability to last a lifetime. They are made from very strong materials and are very unlikely to fracture.
8. Convenient - Having implants means you do not have to worry about removing and cleaning dentures nightly, nor will you need to struggle with adhesives to keep them in place.
When considering dental implants, it is important to choose a dental practice that has plenty of experience. Please contact Oral Surgeon Dr. Stettler’s office in San Diego to set up an appointment to go over your implant options.